Session 3 opened with another great high energy song. The band did a great job. Now, to Andy’s talk. He did what I really enjoy about attending conferences. He threw out his notes for the final session and decided to just talk. So, he said that he decided to pull out five quotes that he has been wrestling with and he was going to share them with us…give thoughts…and mention a “take away”. So, here goes:
1. Quote: “To reach people no one else is reaching, we must do things no one else is doing”. –Craig Grochel
Andy put this on a large document…with the number of unreached people within a 10 mile radius of their three campuses….then posted it in their conference room. Goal is to have this quote disturbe them every day.
Take Away: Become preocupied with those you haven’t reached as opposed to those you are trying to keep. –Reggie Joiner
2. Quote: The next generation product almost never comes from the previous generation.
Someone on the fringe of ministry is coming up with the next thing. You can either Fight it or Fund it. You can be so careful that you’re behind the times…
Take Away: Be a student not a critic
3. Quote: What do I believe is impossible to do in my field, but if it could be done…it would fundamentally change my business?
What in your particular model would you change if you looked at it different?
Take Away: Pay attention to the opeople who are breaking the rules.
4. Quote: If we got kicked out and the board got rid of us, why shouldn’t we just walk out – come back in – and do it ourselves? (story from the guys at intel, Only the paranoid survive)
Question…ASK…What’s in decline? Where are we manufacturing energy? (great question)…announcements? events? stuff that no-one really wants?…..NOT…Why are people not attending…? if you’re asking that question…it’s too late!
Question….ASK….What are our underlying assumptions? What are the assumptions that we as a team have that we really shouldn’t? Ask someone new to evaluate who we are and what we do? Signage/environments/wording/communication…etc
Take Away: Acknowledge what’s not working and own up to why you’re not willing to do anything about it.
Side note….This stuff is totally kicking my butt!!!
5. Quote: When your memories exceed your dreams…the end is near. -Unknown
Crank up the vison. If the vision isn’t driving it…then the past is.
Success breeds complacency…compacency breeds failure.
Take Away: Don’t let success or momentum overshadow your vision. Keep the vision out front.